Archive | August 2011

The Drab Little Dresser

A coat of paint can make a big difference. This dresser was given to me by a friend and was in sore need of an update. After putting it off for a while I finally decided to do something about this drab little dresser. I had seen this idea before so I can’t take credit for it. If you Google “Chevron Dresser” you’ll get lots of different variations. This is what it looked like before.

I used painters tape to tape of the entire thing, keeping the pattern to only the drawers. I used the hardware and drawer edges to help line up the pattern. Once I had it all taped off I took the drawers to the garage for a few coats of spray paint. While those dried I picked up some hardware from the home depot. All-in-all the cost of this project was about $40 with the new hardware. Here’s the final product.

As always, if you have any questions on how I did this or need advice on making your own, just holler! Thanks for reading and remember, today’s ideas become tomorrow realities.

Going Stag

For years I had wanted a Stag Horn Fern. I know, weird and only me. Most people won’t care or will be too bored reading my description but if you want to learn more about Staghorn Ferns click here. So after all these years of pining for this fern here’s what I finally I ended up with.

I know, you’re probably thinking, “How anticlimactic”. But, this is what you get for $12 at the Home Depot. Needless to say, I thought I could make it better. I found this driftwood at the swap meet for $5.

Actually, this was several pieces of driftwood connected together with the screws very cleverly hidden. Whatever. It was only $5. After locating the screws and disassembling the pieces I removed the fern, which is basically just a handful of dirt and moss connected with fishing line. Once I cut the fishing line the whole fern came right off. In an ideal world I would have had fishing line. But, I don’t fish so my standby leather cord had to work. I added a few smaller cuttings of spider plant and a few air plants I had lying around and here’s what I ended up with. Think of it as a plant collage.

To keep the whole thing watered I mist the smaller plants everyday with just a little bit of water and soak the whole thing once every five days or so.

Easy, under $20 and packs a much bigger punch.

As always, if you have any questions on how I did this or need advice on making your own, just holler! Thanks for reading and remember, today’s ideas become tomorrow realities.

%d bloggers like this: