For years I had wanted a Stag Horn Fern. I know, weird and only me. Most people won’t care or will be too bored reading my description but if you want to learn more about Staghorn Ferns click here. So after all these years of pining for this fern here’s what I finally I ended up with.
I know, you’re probably thinking, “How anticlimactic”. But, this is what you get for $12 at the Home Depot. Needless to say, I thought I could make it better. I found this driftwood at the swap meet for $5.
Actually, this was several pieces of driftwood connected together with the screws very cleverly hidden. Whatever. It was only $5. After locating the screws and disassembling the pieces I removed the fern, which is basically just a handful of dirt and moss connected with fishing line. Once I cut the fishing line the whole fern came right off. In an ideal world I would have had fishing line. But, I don’t fish so my standby leather cord had to work. I added a few smaller cuttings of spider plant and a few air plants I had lying around and here’s what I ended up with. Think of it as a plant collage.
To keep the whole thing watered I mist the smaller plants everyday with just a little bit of water and soak the whole thing once every five days or so.
Easy, under $20 and packs a much bigger punch.
As always, if you have any questions on how I did this or need advice on making your own, just holler! Thanks for reading and remember, today’s ideas become tomorrow realities.